Welcome To The Christian Journeyman!

Welcome To The Christian Journeyman!
A CHRISTIAN TEACHING AND RESOURCE MINISTRY!

Tuesday, May 31, 2022

Entertainment Or Education?

 


Entertainment Or Education? 

Where we presently live, there is a park with a baseball field, just across the street from us. I stand and watch, while a number of cars, and buses bring young people to play softball. As I observe the large number of people attending this summer sporting event; a thought comes to mind: how nice it would be for people to be as interested and excited about Bible study, and Sunday morning worship, as they are about this activity. 

Now I am not against an evening, or an afternoon of softball. But it brings to my mind how in the church we feel that we have to entertain people to have them take an interest in the services that are offered by the church. I remember when I was in pastoral ministry; it was like pulling teeth, to get people out to study the Bible, or to attend Sunday morning worship. 

The Psalmist says in Psalms 84:10 "For a day in your courts is better than a thousand. I would rather be a doorkeeper in the house of my God, than dwell in the tents of wickedness." The modern church today is heavy into entertainment. Lights, videos, drama, and loud music, form the core of our worship experience. There are two things I want to bring out concerning our subject today. 

1. A Personal Preference. 
When I think of the simple places where Jesus taught (from a mountain, a fishing boat) and the simple ways that He taught, I believe that keeping it simple is the best way to make an impact. You may disagree with me, and that's alright. For me, we don't need all the bells and whistles, the lights, and loud music to be taught the Word of God, and to worship the Lord. Yes, that is a personal preference for me. 

2. A Personal Priority. 
The apostle Paul writes to Timothy, "All Scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness, that the man of God may be complete, thoroughly equipped for every good work."(2 Timothy 3:16-17) 
As Christians, we are not to come to church, to be entertained, but to be educated in the principles of God's Word. We are to come together to receive God's Word, simply, humbly, and sincerely. In so doing we will profit and be blessed. It is through this simple, but bold process, that we maintain ourselves on the path of righteousness, and the path of effective Christian service. GP 

Photo: Laura Stanley/www.pexels.com