Welcome To The Christian Journeyman!

Welcome To The Christian Journeyman!
A CHRISTIAN TEACHING AND RESOURCE MINISTRY!

Sunday, February 20, 2022

The Battle Within

"Has then what is good become death to me? Certainly not! But sin, that it might appear sin, was producing death in me through what is good, so that sin through the commandment might become exceedingly sinful." (Romans 7:13) 

*"My doctor noticed a small spot on my skin--one that he thought needed some attention. It was a tiny problem that had to be treated so it would not grow into something worse. I hadn't known it as a problem until he pointed it out. He prescribed a special cream that when applied, helped the good cells in my body to come to that spot and fight off the bad ones. In other words, the medication started a little battle between the diseased cells, and the good ones." 

 I can relate very well to what the apostle Paul tells me about an inner battle going on in my heart and life. The statement Paul makes is clear what is going on: "For what I am doing, I do not understand. For what I will to do, that I do not practice, but what I hate, I do." (v.15) I know the sin I should not do, but yet, I give in to my selfish sinful fleshly desires, and do it anyway. I would call it an extreme lack of self-control. Have you been there? 

The law, God's Word, is good as a standard for life. It is good in that it shows us that this sin, is producing death in us. But even as good as the law of God is, it cannot save. As James says, when one looks in the perfect law of liberty, it's like looking in a mirror, and seeing the changes that must be dealt with. (James 1:25) 

But how can we win this battle? The victory is in what Paul says in (vv.24-25) "Wretched man that I am! Who will deliver me from this body of death? I Thank God--through Jesus Christ our Lord! So then, with the mind I myself serve the law of God, but with the flesh the law of sin." 

It is in our relationship with Jesus Christ where we find the victory over this battle within. Through the study and application of Jesus' teachings, along with prayer, we can find the victory we need. 

The closer we get to Jesus, the more we have the power to overcome the destructive power of temptation, and sin! This terrible battle within! GP

* David Branon - Our Daily Bread 

Photo: Syed Hasan Mehdi 84 Followers/www.pexels.com