Welcome To The Christian Journeyman!

Welcome To The Christian Journeyman!
A CHRISTIAN TEACHING AND RESOURCE MINISTRY!

Wednesday, July 10, 2019

In Green Pastures

"He makes me to lie down in green pastures" Psalm 23:2

 I remember one summer evening, as a teenager, I stood on our front porch, and watched our dairy cattle in the pasture just below our house, eating grass, and looking so content, and satisfied. I hoped that in my future life, I would always feel that way. But now as an older adult, I look back on my life and realize that there were so many times I was far away from feeling content, and satisfied.

My father worked hard to give our dairy cattle, the best they could get. It wasn't always easy, but he did the best that he could. My Lord Jesus has always been a good shepherd to me, but I have not always been a good sheep. I have doubted the direction of the Lord for my life. I have disobeyed, and wandered away. Spending time, looking for that good green stuff, away from the protection and provision of my good shepherd. Have you done the same?

How miserable we are, when we realize that we have made a mistake. When we pursued that which we thought was best, only to find that what the Lord provided was so much better. I have heard that a shepherd will break the front leg of a wandering sheep. What a painful punishment. But what a valuable lesson.

When David says; "He makes me to lie down in green pastures" He is referring to the Shepherd's work to have us be where He wants us to be, not where we think we should be. There are times when we didn't know what was good for us. We made decisions without spending time in prayer, and God's Word. And then we realized the foolishness of our decision.

It is true that, what we decide today, will affect our future. A line in a good old Gospel song says. "Many things about tomorrow, I don't seem to understand, but I know who holds tomorrow, and I know who holds my hand."

The best decision for us, is to stay in the Good Shepherd's care. Look to His Word, for the answers we are needing. Look in our hearts for the peace that only He can provide.

Green pastures are awaiting us. Don't step ahead, but fall behind. Our Good Shepherd will faithfully lead us there. (GP) 7/7/2017

Photo: Pixabay.com
<