Welcome To The Christian Journeyman!

Welcome To The Christian Journeyman!
A CHRISTIAN TEACHING AND RESOURCE MINISTRY!

Tuesday, September 20, 2016

Boasting In Us, Or In Christ

"But may it never be that I should boast, except in the cross of our Lord Jesus Christ, through which the world has been crucified to me, and I to the world." (Galatians 6:14)

 How do you feel about your past?

There are some that just can't get past their past experiences, They are trapped by guilt, and resentment. And there are some who glory in their past.

Many have written books on their past struggles with alcoholism, and drug addiction, child abuse, and sexual abuse. I do admire the effort, and success of those who overcame these experiences. But I wonder, especially with our young people.
If after reading, and hearing these stories, if they don't think, "If I had a story of struggle with something to tell about, maybe people would listen to me, and value me? 

The Apostle Paul did mention his past, in his letter to the church at Philippi.
He said that at one time, he felt that he had grounds for having confidence in the flesh. But he said that he put it all behind him, and counted all of his past experiences, and accomplishments, as rubbish, that he might pursue his greatest goal, and that is to know Jesus Christ, as his Savior, and Lord of his life. (Philippians 3)

In our text, Paul says, I am never going to boast about anything (my past efforts, accomplishments). The only thing I am going to boast about, is in the cross of our Lord Jesus Christ. It was at the cross that Jesus put to death our sins. In accepting Him as Savior, we are putting to death, and burying (at baptism) our sinful and miserable past, to be experienced no more.

The credit should go to Jesus Christ. Our story of redemption, and deliverance should be centered in Jesus Christ, not in us. Yes, we have "a story to tell to the nations." It is not a story of self-help, but a story of divine help. If we are dead to the world, our story should be, of how we are alive in Christ, and how we are heaven bound! GP

 Photo ID 66247312 © Imtmphoto | Dreamstime.com