Just As I Am!
A theme like "Just As I Am" carries a quiet power. It reminds us that the starting point of grace is never perfection, but honest surrender.
My son Nathan recently shared a phrase someone had told him: “Nobody’s perfect.” It’s a common saying, but it opens the door to a deeper truth. I told him, “Oh, but there was One who was perfect — Jesus Christ.” During His earthly life, He lived in flawless obedience to the Father. His perfection wasn’t distant or cold; it was purposeful, offered as the perfect sacrifice for our sins.
When I look back over my own life, I see clearly how imperfect I was. I was caught up in worldliness, sin, and self‑direction. Even as a pastor, I found myself living far from the will of the Lord Jesus. It wasn’t rebellion as much as drifting — slow, subtle, and dangerous. But the Lord, in His mercy, opened my eyes. Not long ago, I realized just how far away I had wandered. In that moment of clarity, I surrendered my life to Christ anew. I determined that I would allow Jesus not only to be my Savior, but also the Lord of my life — the One who guides, corrects, restores, and leads.
I still have a long way to go. Every believer does. But my confidence is not in my progress; it is in His perfect sacrifice and His perfect guidance. I trust Him to shape me into the person I need to be in His eyes. He does not ask me to come polished, impressive, or flawless. He calls me to come just as I am — repentant, willing, and ready to follow.
Where are you in your relationship with the Lord Jesus Christ? Have you surrendered your life to Him, allowing Him to be both Savior and Lord? You can, today. The message of salvation is not complicated or unreachable. Acts 2:38 gives us a clear and beautiful promise: “Repent and be baptized… and you will receive the forgiveness of sins and the gift of the Holy Spirit.” Two life‑changing realities unfold when we respond in faith:
- Cleansing of sins — the burden of guilt is lifted, washed away by Christ’s blood.
- The gift of the Holy Spirit — God Himself dwelling within us, guiding, strengthening, and transforming.
In this faith‑based salvation process, we place our lives "in Christ" — held securely in His loving, eternal care. We do not earn this standing; we receive it. We do not perfect ourselves; He perfects us. We do not come worthy; He makes us worthy.
Just as I am — that is how He invites us. And just as He is — perfect, holy, merciful — that is how He receives us.
but that thy blood was shed for me,
and that thou bidd'st me come to thee,
O Lamb of God, I come, I come.
to rid my soul of one dark blot,
to thee, whose blood can cleanse each spot,
O Lamb of God, I come, I come.
with many a conflict, many a doubt,
fightings and fears within, without,
O Lamb of God, I come, I come.
wilt welcome, pardon, cleanse, relieve;
because thy promise I believe,
O Lamb of God, I come, I come.
Psalter Hymnal, (Gray)
