Welcome To The Christian Journeyman!

Welcome To The Christian Journeyman!
A CHRISTIAN TEACHING AND RESOURCE MINISTRY!

Friday, March 3, 2017

How Long, O Lord?

"How long, O Lord? Will You forget me forever? How long will You hide Your face from me? How long shall I take counsel in my soul, Having sorrow in my heart daily? How long will my enemy be exalted over me?" (Psalm 13:1-2) 

When we are going through a time of trial, one of the hardest parts of the experience, is waiting for the Lord to deliver us. The nation of Israel was in bondage 400 years, before the Lord delivered them from their slavery, and oppression in Egypt. In those times of enduring, we may feel like our waiting has been like 400 years.

In our text, David expresses the feeling of abandonment, that many of us have felt in times of trial. He asks the questions that we ask: God are you forgetting me? Are you hiding your face from me? How long do I need to be counseled in my soul? How long will I have sorrow in my heart? How long will you let the enemy have his way with me? You can just feel the anxiety and frustration in David's words.

The answer to the question of "How long?" is: We don't know how long it will be before deliverance and victory is ours in the Lord.

But David sets an example for us, that in our waiting time in trial, we can come before the Lord, humbly, and sincerely, and pour out our heart to Him. We can be honest about how we feel, and share our deepest concerns. David knew that God was alright with this.

We may not understand why God takes the time that He does, but we can understand, and take comfort in the fact that God cares for us deeply, and has not forgotten about us.

 As Psalm 121 reminds us that God is our keeper. He is our Shepherd, and we must trust that His leading is best. Would we want it any other way? GP

 nastya_gepp /63 images - CCO Public Domain - Free for commercial use - No attribution required - www.pixabay.com